Today we met with the psychiatrist, nutritionist, oncologist and the heart transplant surgeon. The studies are almost completed. I have another bone marrow biopsy tomorrow because the Mayo Clinic does some special studies on it for amyloidosis.
The final decision is made on Monday at the selection conference, however, both the surgical director, the medical director and the oncologist feel that I would be a good candidate for a heart transplant. The chief concern in performing a heart transplant in amyloid patients is that even thought the transplant would be successful, if the amyloid has already attacked multiple organs, there might be little benefit from the transplant. It appears that my other organs are doing pretty well and show minimal effects.
Dr Edwards, the medical director, wants to speak with the transplant team at Stanford to possibly get me listed there as well. In that situation, I would be listed at both the Mayo Clinic and Stanford which could increase my chances of getting a heart. In addition, I would be able to return to California to wait. This would be such a blessing. I really do miss my family and would like to be there for the upcoming weddings.
I hope it all works out.
Thank you all for your prayers and sincere concern for us. It has made such a difference in my life.